Thursday, June 13, 2013

Poems from my High School and College Daze.


I wrote all of these poems years ago when I was in a strange place and a strange time. They mean so much to my past. I used to love poetry. I had a reason to back then. I was published in 11th grade in a teacher's anthology of poems. A collection distributed across schools across the U.S. so I guess I have a knack but I found these in a box of memories in my attic. I haven't seen most of these in almost 9 years. But they still seem fresh so I thought I'd publish them here.



Poem 1:

Neither stars in the sky nor drops in the sea, 
Could be traded for happiness or the love of life, 
For such a thing should be cherished like a rarity, 
And should not be given up over struggle or strife, 
Cradle and hold it in the place that love lies, 
Keep it safe, keep it warm inside of your heart, 
Capture it even the every tear that one cries, 
For once inside you this feeling should never depart, 
And tossing it away once is like going suddenly blind, 
Without this emotion the world would be in eternal night, 
And only sorrow at its loss would you then find, 
Until you recover that tiny beacon of radiantly shining light, 
Yes neither the great oceans below nor bright starts above, 
Can ever amount to the feeling of happiness or love. 

An Open Heart:

Open your heart like a door
Cast the key upon the floor
A freezing cold wind deep inside . . . 
This door has not been open before.

The Pain: 

Legs are shaking 
Eyes are numb
Cannot look back to see what I've done 
Coldness envelopes my heart
To the world I alone severed and apart
The severity of emotions . . . surreal

So what's the appeal . . . ? 

Lovers:

Chilling poses of lovers
Wrapped in a temple of flesh
Each looking at each other
Knowing the other is simply the best
Feeling their mortal breaths
Knowing they might fade or die . . . 
Only merely questioning love's depths

If this feeling doesn't last, why not just give it a try ? 

Fantasies:

There are no words which can explain
The writhing tickling inside my brain
Twitching, pondering, being driven insane
For these scenarios I have no shame. 

Society feeds the fears that would otherwise free it:

Society . . . looks down on individual. 
And judges them
There comes a time in every boy's life, 
were he'll need to become a man 
Now I am truly here and back again 
Because those who claim to care
Pathetically try to understand
That I am someone else and not them.

No comments:

Post a Comment