Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Dark Knight Rises Prologue my thoughts

These 6 opening minutes were more enjoyable then most of the films I've seen all year.


It's no secret Christopher Nolan is possibly the hottest director alive today. And I think this coming July he may be remembered for all time, (If he isn't already) for completing his trilogy.


I do not want to nitpick this film, I do not want to cry that my favorite scenes were missing, or that he would do it differently in the comics. Nolan has spawned his world called "The Nolanverses" a universe by Christopher Nolan and fans of film.


Heath Ledger (R.I.P.) won a posthumous oscar . . . how can you top that ? The Joker is one of, if not the most iconic villain of all time . . . how can you top that ? And the answer is research. If you were trying to top an X-Men movie, you'd pick Apocalypse over Magneto if you were trying to top a Superman movie, you'd pick Brainiac over Lex Luthor . . . and so it goes in the lore of The Batman the only villain after Heath Ledger's bone chilling performance as Joker would be Bane. Played by the soon to be house hold name Tom Hardy.


There was one complaint among the fans who waited two hours to see 6 minutes of a film that's 6 months away and I'm not going to spoil it. One tiny detail that to me added to the realism of what's going on and a mystery about the character of Bane. I'll give you a clue though . . . Darth Vader has a similar problem . . . and it's slightly more noticeable in Bane. And since I'm comparing him to possibly the greatest villain in film history…that doesn't bother me in the least.


Bane is perfection. The Joker is chaos.


Bane is a chess player with muscles.


Nolan understands the language of film to a T. From sound to sight. Harry Lime (villain in 'The Third Man') is talked about for about an hour before he appears in that movie. Nolan even in 3 minutes can built up the legend of a character by mentioning his name in one scaredsh*tless throw away line. Same as he did with 'Why do they call this guy 'The Joker'?' 'I don't know, maybe he wears makeup…like warpaint.' And so they do with Bane.


This opening is bigger than the bank robbery. Not in the sense of explosions but in the raw tactile nature of doing a job. Nolan is structured in pacing and detail, not just in the hole of a story but in one 6 minute scene.


After the scene which left me speechless even after the unique way they did just the WB Title Card for the movie - which always leaves me chilled to the core. After the scene they show quick cuts from the movie only one pissed me off only one bothered me, and I hope it's handled better in the film. (Catwoman, who I'm not thrilled about.) But you get the sense of the scope of the film. It will be huge.


Nolan doesn't give a damn about characters…he's making stories about olympians, titans and gods…stories not just worthy to be written in paper but chiseled in stone and film to be seen forever…LEGENDS. Comic are the modern day greek myth…it's a fact...


Bane isn't a god. He's a Titan, even the gods fear him.

No comments:

Post a Comment