Saturday, January 4, 2014

"Her" Movie Review (Basic Overview of Feelings)



I truly thought there wouldn't be a film this year that could hit me as powerfully as "12 Years A Slave" did. But "Her" did. Though I only have the POV of having freshly seen it, it hasn't stewed in me as long so we'll see how long it grows with me.


I believe Spike Jonze has directed an honest satirical emotional masterpiece.


Theodore Twombly (a brilliantly rhythmic & bizarre character name) in and of itself sets the tone.

He works at a company that writes other people's personal letters for them, as bizzare a concept as that is to understand, I get it. It's making a statement about how impersonal we are to each other as people or can be. And yes it's a sci-fi film but in a minimalist since the way "Children of Men" and "A Clockwork Orange" are sci-fi films. The story isn't so bogged down by technology the characters and story seem to take a back seat but the kind where the atmosphere and tech are flavors that are intricate parts of the story. And it never forgets that, there is never a particularly showy moment of tech in this film. And I love that.

It's a concept film. And I don't mean in the basic way of 'can you fall in love with "your computer" ?', but much deeper than a movie about someone who well falls in love with his computer.



Yeap, this guy. The same guy who may be the basis for Nihlism, a lot of modern philosophy, most science fiction (especially that involving robots), perhaps the concept of soul, and the basic concepts of classic films like "The Matrix". 

Rene Descartes ~ "I think therefor I am" 

Because you think, do you truly exist ? No . . . I'm asking you there sitting right there in this theatre some very personal questions about yourself, do you think because you exist you have the right to fall in love with who or what you please ? Seriously what would society think of you ? Your peers ? What would you think of you ? Do you text ? When was the last time you actually looked at someone and they meant something to you ? You can laugh cause this is a comedy / You can cry because this is a romantic drama / and you can damn well think about how you yourself may be involved in bizarre relationships because of technology. Can you escape it? Do you want to? Does it make you feel free? Does it make you feel trapped? 

Do you know how to love another person . . . ? 

What if you fail ? 

He falls in love with his computer. It formulates its own thoughts and has a rich beautifully quirky personality, it's bubbly and fun and Scarlett Johnson's voice is amazing to listen to. 



Her - Alternate Trailer / Arcade Fire from S7Thomas on Vimeo.

The performances are perfect.



Here is why this film got to me more than it may get to others. YES I have been in love. YES she's no longer around. YES I still remember her. YES it can still hurt at times.

Ever receive a text from a lover . . . ?

You know, a text ? Words on a screen not dissimilar from the words your reading now, like words...from a specific person? Did they mean anything to you?  But they're just words on a screen? How could they mean anything deeper to you?

Exactly.

Several years ago I was in a long distance relationship. All we had over long periods of time were our voices and our words. We were thousands of miles away. That's all we had. But to tell me she meant less to me and I meant less to her because we weren't physically in front of each other would be a complete and utter falsehood. Because it never mattered. Sex and kissing, yes those are important but when you love someone it's there heart and soul you love, it's their feelings, their spirit, not their body...not all the time.

I know because moments after the credits rolled I turned on my cell phone and received a text from a beautiful girl I know, a sweet text, directed right at me, and it meant something to me. And she wasn't physically in front of me.

Love is tricky because when you fall in love with a person or a thing they become a part of you and you of them, like a reflection that just feels right. You can laugh, finish each others sentences and there isn't much you can do to explain it. It's like a dream principle you're everyone in your dreams and everyone is you when you run, fuck, fly, fight or fall in love. You are everyone in your dreams.

Your reality is different, but is what in your mind any different than your idea of it?

"Her" is brilliant because it speaks to that. And technologies way of distancing ourselves from ourselves. But to me doesn't make it any less real. And it's because it's relatable so much so to me. That it's frightening and hits me in that deep, deep, way. The truth is you can't feel the warm breath on the back of your neck from a computer.



"Her" is a masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment